A final appeal to the District Council on behalf of the Spanish Fort women’s soccer team was rejected on Friday.
Toro’s men’s and women’s teams will miss the Class 6A playoffs.
Baldwin County Communications Project Manager Chasity Riddick confirmed news of the denial to AL.com.
In a letter to Spanish Fort parents on Thursday, Baldwin County Superintendent Eddie Tyler said he had rehired legal counsel to appeal the case to the district council after he said he appealed Wednesday to of Alabama High School Athletic Association executive director Alvin Briggs.
“I don’t know what their decision will be, but I will continue to push to do what’s right for our students,” Tyler wrote. “As a former coach and parent, I am heartbroken by AHSAA’s decision.”
Tyler has not released a statement since the denial.
The Class 6A playoffs began Thursday night without the Spanish Fort boys. The 6A girls playoffs begin tonight with the two Zone 2 representatives (Gulf Shores and Baldwin County). The Tigers will travel to McGill-Toolen at 5 p.m. St. Paul’s hosts Gulf Shores at 5:30 p.m.
Both Spanish Fort teams reported an eligibility issue themselves, allegedly involving members of the same family.
Mobile attorney David Allen filed a lawsuit against Briggs on Sunday in the boys’ case. The lawsuit, on behalf of parent Kerry DeFelippo and not on behalf of Spanish Fort High School, alleged that his son Anthony DeFelippo was declared ineligible this week after he was initially declared eligible by an AHSAA staff member via email. last month.
The suit sought a restraining order, restoring DeFelippo’s eligibility and allowing Spanish Fort to play in the playoffs. A Baldwin County judge granted that stay without a hearing Tuesday morning. However, in a letter from Tyler included in AHSAA’s response to the judge’s ruling, Tyler said the Spanish Fort boys would honor AHSAA’s findings and not play.
A court date in the DeFelippo case is scheduled for May 4, but that would obviously be after the first round is over.