Midwestern people rally around injured Ness City HS football player


WICHITA, Kansas (KWCH) – Residents of the Midwest rally around Ness City teenager Bowen Hoss. Last Monday, Hoss suffered a stroke during a football game that caused a brain aneurysm. He has since been in a coma. On the road to recovery, Hoss’ mother said the outpouring of support and prayers kept the family spirited up.

September 20 started as planned for 15-year-old Hoss. The sophomore year of Ness City High School was back on the football field for a junior varsity game. But in this game, a hit from helmet to helmet knocked him down. Her mother, Wendy, said she knew right away something was wrong.

“Immediately they took him to the bench and they were going to go through the usual concussion protocol, but we immediately knew something was different,” she said.

The stroke caused a brain aneurysm after ruptured blood vessels Hoss was born with an arteriovenous malformation, tangled blood vessels in his brain that no one knew until last Monday’s injury.

“You could tell by the look on her face that something bad had happened, so we knew immediately something was going on,” said Wendy Hoss.

Hoss was rushed to the emergency room before being airlifted to Wichita where doctors discovered the arteriovenous malformation, or “AVM.” Hoss was then airlifted to the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City where he underwent emergency surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain.

Her mother says all they can do now is wait and pray.

“So we have to wait for it to heal so that we can fix the problem,” she said. “At this point he is in a coma and we are waiting for him to wake up so that we can take a step forward.”

Almost immediately, Hoss’s story spread to neighboring communities and even across state lines as Wendy Hoss said she heard from supporters in Nebraska and Texas. The # BH2 hashtag used on social media shows posts from other schools, praying for Hoss’ recovery. A greeting poster hangs on the wall of her hospital room.

Wendy Hoss said it was the prayers and wishes that kept her son and the family going.

“It has spread very widely and we cannot be more grateful,” she said. “The more love he has, the more he prays, the more likely he is to get through this.”

Confident in her faith and her son, Wendy Hoss said she can’t wait to see Bowen open his eyes and smile once he wakes up. She said the experience taught her not to take the little things for granted. She also said that her son is a fighter and determined in all situations and it is no different.

“Someday he will be back on this floor, thanking those nurses who are taking such good care of him right now,” said Wendy Hoss. “They’re going to see the progress he’s made. It is going to be our miracle.

Copyright 2021 KWCH. All rights reserved.


About Author

Leave A Reply