Football legend Pelé remains in intensive care after surgery

0

SAO PAULO – Former Brazilian footballer Pelé remained in intensive care on Friday as he recovered from surgery to remove a tumor on the right side of his colon.

Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo said in a statement that Edson Arantes do Nascimento, 80, was recovering “satisfactorily”, although he is still in intensive care. The hospital said Monday that Pelé should be transferred to a regular facility. room on Tuesday.

The hospital also said Pelé is “awake, talking actively and keeping his vital signs normal.”

The three-time World Cup champion also said on his Instagram that “every day I feel a little better”.

He went to the hospital for routine checkups at the end of August when the tumor was discovered. The hospital then said in a statement that the tumor had been identified during routine cardiovascular and laboratory examinations. He added that he had collected samples for analysis but did not publish the results.

A d

Pelé, the only male player to win three World Cups, has had mobility issues since a failed hip replacement in 2012. He has been forced to use walkers and wheelchairs in public. He has also been admitted to several hospitals in recent years for kidney and prostate procedures.

Pelé won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and remains Brazil’s all-time top scorer with 77 goals in 92 appearances.

___

More AP football: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.



Source link

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply