Barcelona finished trophyless throughout the 2021-22 season, and now it’s up to the Catalan giants to reorganize for a revitalized campaign next term.
The club made a solid second-half push and secured Champions League play for next season, saving face for an otherwise fruitless campaign.
Still, there are many questions to answer. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was a new face in January and proved a shrewd acquisition, finding his best form at Camp Nou and helping Barcelona finish second in the league. Still, Aubameyang is 34 and could be on his last legs.
Ousmane Dembele is out of contract and could leave the club this summer on a free transfer, and there are rumors of a needed midfield upgrade.
The biggest elephant in the room for Barcelona is the club’s current financial situation. It is generally accepted that the club are in dire financial straits and have to generate most of their transfer funds by selling outgoing players of nearly equal value. This will be something both club and fans will keep in mind as Barcelona navigate the transfer window, and lower value transfers could become a priority given the club’s financial situation.
The Sporting News summarizes the major updates – all day, every day – below.
CONFIRMED OFFERS IN BARCELONA: Transfers in | Outgoing transfers | Updated team list
Latest Barcelona transfer news
Last update: June 11
Bernardo Silva drops Barcelona transfer hint
Manchester City schemer Bernardo Silva has indicated he may be open to leaving Pep Guardiola’s side this summer.
Barcelona have been linked with a move for the Portugal international, despite his importance to City, and the former Benfica star has admitted his future is unresolved.
“Unfortunately, I can’t answer on my future, as I’m with the national team and super focused on the remaining game,” O Jogo said. “When the season ends, we’ll see what happens.”
Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano claims a meeting between Silva’s agent Jorge Mendes and Blaugrana boss Xavi included talks over a possible move for the 27-year-old.
I’ve been told that the main name mentioned during Barcelona’s encounter with Jorge Mendes last night was Bernardo Silva. Xavi, big fan. 🇵🇹 #FCB
Man City will set a huge price tag for Bernardo. It’s not a possible deal for Barca, at the moment – only in case Frenkie de Jong leaves.
— Fabrice Romano (@FabrizioRomano) June 9, 2022
Barcelona and Juventus fight for Ilkay Gundogan
Barcelona could turn their attention to City star Ilkay Gundogan ahead of the 2022/23 season despite interest from Serie A giants Juventus.
Xavi is aiming to strengthen his squad in the coming weeks, with reports from German outlet Bild claiming he is watching Gundogan.
Gundogan has been linked with a move away from the Etihad Stadium — despite the two goals that clinched the Premier League title — with his contract expiring in 2023.
🎙️ “ILKAY GUNDOGAN YOU LITTLE DANCER!!” 🕺
Manchester City turn things around at the Etihad!! WOW!! pic.twitter.com/4tRqwuvJUj
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) May 22, 2022
The 31-year-old wants a consistent starting spot ahead of the 2022 World Cup, with his rotating role at City a source of frustration for the former Borussia Dortmund man.
Any move for Gundogan is only likely to proceed if Dutch star Frenkie de Jong chooses to leave, with Manchester United following suit.
Ferran Torres has rejected the transfer to Real Madrid
Ferran Torres has revealed he turned down joining Real Madrid earlier in his career.
The Spaniard has opened his first season in La Liga, having left Manchester City in January, and he is confident about Xavi’s plan at Camp Nou.
“I could have stayed at City and won many titles, but I wanted a new challenge. To sign for Barcelona is an honor, and when Xavi calls, it’s a no-brainer,” he said via Marca.
“That Robert Lewandowski is motivated to come to Barcelona is a source of pride. I hope he will reach an agreement and join.
“When I was young I had several opportunities to sign for Real Madrid, but now was not the time. An offer was during the World Cup, but I got into the Valencia first team, and I think it was good.
“With the other offers, I gave more importance to being closer to home and staying with my family.”
Barcelona linked with Villarreal star Gerard Moreno
Barcelona are preparing back-up plans if they fail to agree a deal for Bayern Munich superstar Robert Lewandowski this summer.
Polish hitman Lewandowski has been heavily linked with a move to Camp Nou but the Bavarians are expected to fight hard to retain their star.
According to Diario Sport, the Blaugrana have now set their sights elsewhere in case of emergency, with Villarreal’s Gerard Moreno an option for Xavi.
Moreno’s current release clause stands at €100m (£85.4m/$107m), but the Yellow Submarine could accept half that figure after missing out on a spot. qualifying for the Champions League for next season.
Lewandowski will ask to move
The relationship between the club and the player has broken down completely, with Lewandowski stating that ‘my story with Bayern is over’. Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn, unhappy with this definitive public statement, hit back, saying: “Why Robert chose this path, I can’t tell you. Appreciation is not a one-way street.” According to Spanish publication Sport, Lewandowski has decided to hold on during Bayern Munich’s pre-season.
LAST UPDATE (June 6): Lewandowski is still pushing for a move, saying “something died in me, I want to leave Bayern to have more emotions in my life.” two days before, fabrice romano reported that Lewandowski has a verbal agreement for a three-year contract at Barcelona.
Barcelona have been seen as the favorites to sign Lewandowski for months but according to La Liga boss Javier Tebas at the end of May the Catalan club need to ‘sell assets and earn more’. [revenue]in order to make a splash like this. “Today they can’t sign him,” Tebas said, referring to Lewandowski.
Dembele in talks over a new contract
Ousmane Dembele is out of contract this summer, and while in January it seemed certain the Frenchman would leave the club, his excellent form throughout the second half of the season has seemingly seen Barcelona reconsider.
Still, with Dembele now able to speak freely with other clubs, Barcelona are forced to compete in the open market to re-sign their 25-year-old wide. If Dembele leaves, it could trigger multiple rumors for other replacement wingers, like Leeds United’s Raphinha.
LAST UPDATE (June 6): While ESPN reported in April that the two sides have reopened contract talks, Barcelona now have to compete in the open market which could prove difficult. Spanish publication Sport report that PSG have pulled out of signing Dembele, leaving only Chelsea and Barcelona as remaining options. Mundo Deportivo, meanwhile, report that Barcelona are also starting to think about pulling out of negotiations with Dembele, having already submitted a final contract offer which won’t be increased.
Will Neves join Wolves?
The midfielder is a needed position for Barcelona, and 25-year-old Wolves star Ruben Neves may be looking for an upgrade with his contract in two years. The Portugal international has been a star midfielder for years in the Premier League and could thrive at Barcelona if surrounded by talent. Wolves are likely to demand a hefty transfer fee for the club’s most valuable player.
LAST UPDATE (June 6): Spanish publication Sport reported at the end of April that agent Jorge Mendes was working on a deal to bring Neves to Barcelona, and they have recently taken that one step further. Sport (as transmitted by SportWitness) have now reported that because Wolves’ €50m valuation of Neves is out of reach for cash-strapped Barcelona, the Spanish side have offered Riqui Puig, Oscar Mingueza and Martin Braithwaite as makeshift products in a deal, but the only player Wolves are interested in is Nico Gonzalez.
Will Frenkie de Jong leave?
Dutch midfielder Frenkie de Jong has settled into a day-to-day role at Barcelona, but there has been widespread speculation that the club may sacrifice de Jong as a valuable asset in order to raise the funds needed for further transfers. . De Jong himself has said he would ‘prefer to stay at Barcelona’ but he could be pressured to leave if a meaningful deal comes through.
LAST UPDATE (June 6): According to Spanish publication Sport, Manchester United have authorized the necessary funds to complete a deal for de Jong, but the biggest hurdle remaining is convincing the player to leave Barcelona.
Will Raphinha arrive from Leeds United?
Leeds United are considering whether to sell Raphinha this summer as the 25-year-old Brazilian is a wanted man and has just two years left on his contract. Still, Raphinha’s departure would significantly drain the team’s talent, and after claiming victory in a relegation battle last season, it could prove costly.
Last update (June 5): According to Fabrizio Romano, Leeds will only consider selling Raphinha on two previously stated ‘conditions’: they make a profit of €55m ($59m/£47m) and payment is made. made in a single payment. This will anger Barcelona who have very little financial flexibility this summer.
Transfers Barcelona: transfer window summer 2022
|June 30th||Luuk de Jong||ST||30||Seville||Return from loan|
Below is the updated Barcelona first-team list. New additions during the Summer 2022 window are shown in bold:
Guardians (3): Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Neto, Arnau Tenas
Defenders (10): Jordi Alba (LB), Dani Alves (RB), Ronald Araujo (CB), Alex Balde (LB), Sergino Dest (RB), Eric Garcia (CB), Clément Lenglet (CB), Oscar Mingueza (CB), Gerard Pique (CB), Samuel Umtiti (CB).
Midfielders (7): Sergio Busquets (DM), Frenkie de Jong (CM), Pedri (CM), Gavi (CM), Nico Gonzalez (CM), Riqui Puig (CM), Sergi Roberto (CM).
Forwards (8): Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (CF), Martin Braithwaite (CF), Ousmane Dembele (AD), Memphis Depay (CF), Ansu Fati (AG), Ferran Torres (AD), Adama Traore (AD)
CB = central defender; LB = rear left; RB = right back; CM = central midfielder; CAM = attacking midfielder; CF = centre-forward; LW = left wing; RW = right wing
Barcelona’s current first-choice starting line-up, when fully healthy, currently looks like:
Barcelona projected their starting XI (4-3-3, left to right): Ter Stegen (GK) — Alba, Pique, Araujo, Alves — F. de Jong, Busquets, Pedri — Torres, Aubameyang, Dembele.